Sunday, February 15, 2009

pretty much.... I'm feeble.

Olivia, my dear sweet Olivia, is a thumb sucker. Not a single one of our other children sucked a pacifier or thumb, so this is all new territory for us. When she was little I kept trying to get her to switch over to the pacifier instead of her thumb (because I can take away a paci, and I can't really take away a thumb) but she would have NOTHING to do with those rubbery things. Thumbs only.


Well here we are, nearly 14 months after she blessed our family we are starting to notice some teeth issues. They are not buck teeth, just a bit crooked. Not to mention the constant blister and callous she has on her favorite thumb. After much discussion Dan and I decide that it would be be best to try and break her of this habit sooner rather than later. So we decided to put socks on her hands one night before bed.
The evening started out great, Liv thought it was hilarious! She was looking forward to picking stuff up and throwing stuff. That is until she picked up her favorite blankie...






That is when things got.... not so happy.









No she is not break dancing here. She was trying her hardest to get the sock off her hand with her teeth. After nearly an hour (or maybe 30 minutes, I can't really remember) I had to rescue her. We decided that we will attempt this again when she has her own room.


























10 comments:

Nikaela said...

What a crack up! I love the shot of her legs in the air. My sister-in-law just took my little nephews pacifier. She waited until he was just barely old enough to understand the concept of prayer (He was about to turn 3) and said, "Let's say a prayer to help you sleep without your pacifier." He was all over it and the next morning when she asked how he slept he said, "Jesus help me!" I'm crossing my fingers it's that easy for Gideon!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I love that she sucks her thumb. Maddox still loves his binkie. I tried to be strong and took it away at the beginning of January, but caved because he is awful at napping. Now it is only for "night night"-- which basically means he totally won!

Dana said...

Good luck! We tried everything with my sister....painted her fingers with gross tasting stuff...

If you get really stressed, they have dental blocks that any pedi-ortho/dentist can put in...not pretty, but they work.

Darcie said...

This just cracks me up and breaks my heart all at the same time!

Anonymous said...

Nikki was a thumbsucker and we started to worry when her teeth seemed to be affected. Her dentist said, "Well, she wont be sucking her thumb when she's twelve and that's about when we put braces on, so I think she's ok." We were shocked! But, he was right. She still occasionally sucked her thumb even up to first grade, but once she started pre-k and some of the other kids noticed, she backed off a lot.

Just one more opinion to consider...

Love you all!

Duane and Jan Gibbons Family said...

There are a lot of things that you just have to tell yourself, "They won't be doing this when they are 16." Jeni I think you are the queen of blogging. Your entries are always so fun to read! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Codie said...

Morgan would bite her nails until they bled. We put that awful tasting nail stuff on her fingers and she hasn't chewed them since. It just might work for thumb sucking. It is non toxic but boy is it nasty.

Susan Sorensen said...

I say let her have it! When she's older and you can reason with her, or more easily distract her, then go to work on breaking the habit. But not now! We grandma's can't stand the suffering....ours OR theirs.

Susan Sorensen said...

Not to mention what it does to the parents.

Kim and Joe said...

I'm with you here Jeni. Bryar still pretty much lives with her two fingers in her mouth. It is not affecting her teeth or anything but I just don't want Bridger to pick up the habit by watching her sister. I have something you could do but I won't write it because it is not very nice and I don't want people to think I am crule. So email me and I will let you know.