Friday, May 23, 2008

A Thief in the Night

We have spent time, money and energy this "Spring" into our first garden. We are super excited for "Summer" and to be able to eat some of these yummies. We have planted green beans, carrots, romaine and butter lettuce, red bell pepper, Serrano peppers, pumpkins, sugar snap peas, tomatoes (3 kinds) and Yukon gold potatoes. This morning I was totally startled to look out onto our garden and see this:



As you can see, it looks like a bull dozer came through our yard! I wanted to cry. At first I thought it was my boys - they play outside and are not always careful about where they are playing. I could easily imagine them running through the tomato plants trying to catch a baseball. Then my thoughts turned to Noelle, our dog. She is a great dog, but she also LOVES people food. None of these had actual fruit on them yet (just blossoms) but maybe she could smell the possibility of people food. Then upon closer analysis I noticed this:


WHAT IS THAT - you ask?? CAT FUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't own any cats but I live on Cat Condo street! Between our 2 neighbors and the lady across the street we have 10 cats surrounding us. I am terribly allergic to them too! I don't know what to do. Ever since we moved in we have dealt with them. At first they were going to the bathroom in our front yard under the kitchen window, so when it would rain (and the window was open) my kitchen would get this lovely fragrance! They also like to sleep on MY front porch - what the heck is wrong with their front porch? The suspect is "buck tooth cat" I don't know what his real name is but he is the UGLIEST cat I have ever seen. This picture is actually a good picture of him, his buck tooth is not showing.
Why is there a double standard with cats and dogs? If I were to let Noelle run the streets she would get picked up by animal control or the neighborhood would be knocking on my door freaking out. I have decided that I am going let Dan train her to hunt - cats.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel about the cats we had cats that would come into our yard in TX. We would throw stuff at them just so that they would leave us alone when we wanted to go out. I hate cats but at least I'm not allergic. Have you tried telling the neighbors that they make you really sick and asking to keep them in. If people are going to have pets they should control them. I have a friend who makes sure her cats don't get out and bug the neighbors. It's the decent thing to do, I think, and like you said you would be in trouble if your dog was running around. If we had had a bb gun I would have been shooting it at the cat because they wouldn't hurt a person or make enough noise for anyone to know you were shooting a gun. I know I'm naughty but it's your yard you should get to decide who and what comes into it. Good luck.

Bringhurst Family said...

OH my heck that is one ugly cat! There's got to be a way to repel cats from gardens have you tried researching that on the internet. I'd be cranky too.

Anonymous said...

Oh sad! I'm sorry Jeni, that totally sucks. Grrr. Just another reminder of why I hate cats...

Tresa said...

OOO ugly cat!! I heard if you sprinkle Red pepper around your garden that should work.. who know though.
good luck with the training lol

The Field's said...

we have a crawl space under our house and our neighbors can lived under there. We finally decided to close it off after the cats started dragging dead rodents and birds under there and letting them rot. So we blocked it off and a day later I hear this "reaaarrrrreaaar". A cat had gotten stuck under our house! It took us half the night to lure it out. Honestly...I just wanted to shoot it with our bb gun. But it's against the law....whatev....cats suck. Take care of you animals people.