Friday, August 30, 2013

Livy's first conference

We are half-way through our first grading quarter for school already! Which meant that our first round of parent/teacher conferences was last week. I have never dreaded conferences, my kids have always been good at school and polite kids so usually it is just a nice time to get to see their classroom and really get to know the teacher. (Except one year with Spencer (4th grade) , talk about 2 personalities that didn't mix!) 

This year I have been a little hesitant for Olivia's conference. Let's just say, I have been.... nervous. 
Don't get me wrong! I love this girl! She is spunky and strong and confident - all traits that I LOVE about her, but I was concerned that she might come across as a little... mean for the kindergarten population. Especially since she has been coming home from school just awful! She is flat out defiant when she gets home from school! Which is something so unlike her normal (before she was at school all-day) demeanor. 
 Well when we walked into her classroom we were about 10 minutes early, and there wasn't a conference before us,  so this is how our conversation went:

Me: "we are early, do you want us to wait or do you want to start a little early?"
Mrs. V: "Oh good! You're early!" 
Me: just my thoughts... {oh great! why!?!? why is she glad we are early?! Because she has to tell us about behavior issues before we go onto curriculum!}
Mrs. V: "That way I can spend the first twenty minutes telling you how much I LOVE your daughter and then we can talk about what she has been learning for the last 10 minutes!"
Me: [wide eyes: open mouth: near tears of joy!] "Really!"

She went on to tell us that Olivia is such a good kid! She said that she is genuinely kind and thoughtful of others. That she never participates in any negative behaviors and she definitely avoids the "girl drama". She is a friend to all the kids and she is very loved by her peers, in fact, anytime they get to take a buddy with them she is always the first one picked.

I don't think I can accurately describe the feelings of pride I had in that moment! I can handle the mean girl and the exhausted girl and the defiant girl at home - if that means that she is using what we have taught her when she is at school. She is representing our family well and I am so proud of that.



I do feel like I need to give a little props to Ryleigh for being such a fantastic big sister and a great example of what it means to be a female and not be a part of the "drama" that often comes with the gender. She is a great role model for Olivia on how to be confident and strong-willed and secure in yourself. I am so appreciative of my girls right now and the beautiful young women that they are. I look forward to their futures and pray that they will continue to always know who they are and stand strong in their beliefs. That is what makes a woman beautiful... is it not??


3 comments:

Susan Sorensen said...

Wow! What a great review for Livy. (At school do they call her 'Olivia'?) I can see all of these traits in her and in Ryleigh. No need to worry, mom and dad, they'll be just fine!!

Kim Stoney said...

I just want to say that you do a great job on your blog. I know what is going on in your lives and it is fun to see the updates. Sorry I'm the worst.

Darcie said...

I have tears in my eyes at this moment. I love these girls so much!! I am proud and so happy to be their gramma. Thank you, Jeni Lyn, for being such a great example for them to follow. You are a light in my life and I am thankful for you. (I feel this way about the men in your family as well, but this was just a girl post) I love you all!