Tuesday, May 26, 2009

S'mores anyone?

Well! We had quite an evening. Lets just start from the beginning...shall we?
My poor sweet husband has lovingly taken over the houseparent duties while I work full time. He doesn't love this arrangement. He really wants to be the one working, and I would gladly let him but we both understand that school is and needs to be #1 for him right now, so we are just waiting it out. Anyways, the one part of being a houseparent that he hates the most, is one of my favorite parts. Cooking. He doesn't enjoy cooking and to be honest, other than BBQing he doesn't really know how to cook. This afternoon he decided to really go out on a limb and make chicken burritos (a yummy super easy dinner) but the boys had a baseball game so it got tricky. In this recipe you slow-cook the chicken in a salsa sauce for several hours until it is shreddy. Dan thought he would just leave it to cook during the game (which I will admit, I have done before - just leave something simmering on the back burner) the part where this story goes awry is when I tell you that he left it on HIGH! We came home to this:


Ummmm, yeah. This was so embarrassing. Thankfully our neighbors heard our smoke alarms going off and they ran into our house and rescued the dog and turned off the stove and opened up all the windows and then a neighbor down the street called the fire department. Thankfully nothing burnt - except for dinner. There was never a fire only a LOT of smoke. As I type we are washing kids sheets and fabreezing the house. Hopefully we will not smell like a BBQ forever.


Here was what was left of dinner. So sad. We had Subway instead.
P.S. Have you ever noticed how many people need to walk their dogs when the fire department is at your house?

10 comments:

Bringhurst Family said...

Oh geez and you can't say the kids did it.

Codie said...

Oh no! It would have made moving easier if everything had burnt but I am glad it didn't. Smoke stuff is the worst.

Cori said...

So sad and so funny! Really grateful you are all safe and sound. Would love the chicken burrito recipe... (original; not the newest version...)

DaNelle said...

That's crazy! But funny too. Pretty much sounds like my husband, no cooking abilities unless it's grilling!

Allison said...

Yikes! I'm glad the house didn't burn down!

Duane and Jan Gibbons Family said...

Can you say "we were watched over?" I have to agree, though. My dad once smoked his house out by dehydrating beef jerky in his oven. It is not easy to clean up after. I am glad everyone is safe! Dan gets an "A" for effort though. Alas, you may not ever get him to cook again. You're too funny to capture the whole thing with your camera...I would never have thought to do that.

Susan Sorensen said...

Great story Jeni! You'll be laughing about this one the rest of your lives. Oh, and I 'd like the recipe too! Thanks.
Loveyou!

Jason and Natalie White said...

LOL, as a wife of a FF that's really funny.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Awesome on Dan's part for being the cook!

Andrea said...

hmmm, too bad I missed that meal!