Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pinetop Lakeside Vacation

My biological father lives in Lakeside along with pretty much all of his family. Saying 'biological' sounds so impersonal, like we don't know each other, but we do! In fact he was the only father I knew until I was 9. Then my parents got divorced, my mom got re-married and I saw him less and less. Somewhere along the years I started referring to him as Steve, (which is what he calls himself when I talk to him so maybe that is his preference...) and my step-dad adopted me and my two brothers and I started feeling like less a part of his family because I didn't see them anymore. 
It really had not occurred to me the effect this has had on me until I was 30! I always felt like it didn't bother me because my "new" dad loved me so much! (Which he does!!) But now that I am older and a little less concerned with being tough I can say that it has hurt me. It was hard to go from being a part of a family to all of the sudden NOT being a part of the family. I missed them. A lot. I don't think it was anyone's fault that this happened. Divorce was different then. I know everyone thought they were doing what they thought was the best things for us kids. You just never know until its all done. 
Anyways...I missed them! I missed my Aunt & Uncles and my grandparents and COUSINS! So over the past couple of years I have been trying to reach out and bridge that gap but it's hard. It is hard to have missed so much of someones life. 

So when Ethan's club team announced the tournament in Show Low I knew we would have to stop in and see my family up there! I had NO CLUE that they would be SO EXCITED to see us too! My grandparents have 4 spare beds (3 doubles & 1 twin) and so they asked us if we would stay with them and of course I accepted. Dan and the kids were a little anxious about it because they didn't know them, they were worried it would be weird - but it wasn't! They were awesome! It was wonderful. I felt so comfortable and loved. Dan even was amazed at how loving and comfortable it was. It was a little surreal being there because even though the house is a new one since I was little, all the stuff is the same. I had so many memories come rushing back to me just seeing some of the things in their home. Like this:



Yep, that's right. That is my name on that. When I saw this hanging on the wall in the bedroom I started to cry. They have had this in their home for 31 years! They never forgot about me, as a child I always just assumed that they had. There was also pictures of me and my family and little crafts that my mom had made in their home. It was very touching. 

On Saturday after our games we came back to my gramma's house for an early dinner. She had invited the whole (WHOLE!) family over for dinner. It was amazing to see everyone again! Most of these people I have not seen in 20 years at least! It was amazing to me that everyone knew who I was but even their little kids were not shy or curious as to who the heck I was either. 
Tyler, Linda (Cliff's wife), and her son.

Dan talked for EVER with my Uncle David and Cousin Kyle

My Aunt Diana & Me
Kylia - Kyle (my Cousin {David & Diana's son} & Coco's daughter

My cousin JD (The only cousin that is older than me!) and his 3 daughters. {I forget their names...:( } He was like 8 the last time I saw him so I was totally blow away that he is just as old as me! 

 My kids has such a fantastic time just being outside! What is that!??! You can be outside in July???


Olivia was having so much fun with lots of little girls her age!

 After the dinner we drove over to my Aunt Diana & Uncle David's house. They have goats and chickens so the kids thought it was pretty neat to get to milk them and collect eggs (by "kids" I mean Olivia & Ryleigh... the boys ran like little sissies!)
Olivia and Uncle David milking the goat

In their boots to keep their feet clean while milking the goats!

Olivia got to collect eggs!


Feeding the baby goats

 On Sunday morning we met up with Steve and Jennifer (his wife) and my brother Tyler at this place called Darbi's. It was super yummy. I'm not gonna lie. It was some good breakfast. yummm... Steve's claim to fame is the "Stevie boy Potatoes" on the menu. Apparently they are named after him, and if you eat them like he does you will die before you turn 35 years old of a coronary. I had them - a little less "smothered" and they were delicious!
Tyler is constantly laughing at Olivia. Apparently she is funny.

Tyler, Spencer & Ryleigh
My kids with Steve. I guess I should have gotten in there too. oops. 


2 comments:

Darcie said...

This makes my heart so happy - I love the Clawson family and want you and your family to continue to make lots of happy memories with them.

Susan Sorensen said...

Wow! What a trip down memory lane! That is just awesome, Jeni! I'm so glad you guys did this! I can't believe Steve - I never would have recognized him. Now I want to see pictures of the rest of the family, like Sweetpea and Jimmy. I'm equally happy that Tyler was there. What a good thing this is!!