Monday, October 29, 2012

Day 29 - The Phoenix Zoo

Today was a super lucky day! A good friend asked me if Olivia and I would like to go to the zoo with her and her son, Jase, today and of course we said YES! I couldn't think of a time that Olivia had ever been to the zoo (Olivia says that she has, but I don't remember ever taking her, nor do I have the pictures to back up her story) so I was really excited to explore it with her. Next year she'll be in Kindergarten so I need to take advantage of this time.
Olivia was enamored with the Zoo Map. She carried that thing around for almost the whole trip (and sobbed when she lost it) and she referred to it often. She was actually pretty smart with navigating it. She could tell us how to get to a place if she knew where we were on the map. Jase of course, was more interested in petting the Iguana's.
 Since the weather started out beautiful in the morning all the animals were out! It was so fun to see them up close. By lunch time it was hot (90*) so they were getting harder to find.
 The New(ish) Monkey exhibit is SO FUN! We got to go inside the cage with the Monkey's and see them running around all around us. They are seriously cute. Olivia officially wants one to take home.

 The Giraffe was the MUST SEE for Olivia. She was nagging to see them from the second we stepped in the place. They were pretty active when we got to them around lunch time and Livy was in heaven watching them from the tower that overlooks their enclosure.

 The baboons are usually fun to watch because they are so playful, but today this guy was sad. This little man just sat and stared at us with those terribly tormented eyes. I felt bad finally walking away from him, like I was abandoning him.
Jase and Olivia have know each other for Jase's whole life and they had so much fun together today. I am so thankful that they thought to invite us along!
This is the look that Olivia gets on her face as she puts her hand in a prickly pear cactus (left), thankfully it was as we were leaving so I only had to listen to her whimper for an hour.

1 comment:

Darcie said...

Such a fun day for you all!!